Hunting Season is upon us, Bird Season is in full swing with Deer Season starting the first weekend of November. Here are a few safety tips I’ve found around the internet (links to those better articles below):
- Know the Season: It’s important to know what season it is and what is being hunted, for Texas here is a link that can help you find out what it is currently open season for: Texas Seasons
- Avoid Hunting Areas: Know where hunting locations are, like you should always do while geocaching avoid private property.
- Wear the right colors: Hunters wear “Blaze orange”, this time of year you can purchase Blaze Orange clothing at many locations such as Academy. Wearing a shirt, vest, or even a hat will help Hunters see that your a human, not a deer. Avoid wearing Tan, Brown, Antler hats, etc…
- Make Distinguishing Noises: Make plenty of noises only humans make, not noises animals Hunters may be hunting make. For instance I have a habit of whistling like a Bobwhite Quail, don’t do that.
- Protect your Geopup: Those Blaze Orange vests you can get for you, you can get them for your dogs as well. Any time your out hiking or Geocaching in the woods, it’s always helpful for your dog to wear distinguishing colors. Some animals are in season year round such as Wild Hogs, so dogs being able to be seen is ALWAYS a good idea. Also if they are anything like my old Basset Hound, if they catch a scent and wonder off that orange is much easier to find.
- Know when Hunters Hunt: Most hunting takes place in the early morning or late evening, there are hunters out in the middle of the day but far fewer than are out just after sun rise and just before sun set. Those times are when the animals are most active, but it’s also when visibility is not at it’s highest.
Hunters Education courses are available online or in person that hunters must take before they can legally hunt in Texas. These courses are full of great information for both hunters and non-hunters alike. Many of these courses you don’t have to pay for until the end of the course to get the needed hunting certificate, so you can go through the whole class for free! I recently took the one here: Texas Hunter Ed
Protect yourself and you’ll have a better hunting season (Hunting season for geocaches is of course year round)
Letterboxing (and caching) Safely during Hunting Season – Podcacher Podcast
Hiking During Hunting Season, How to Stay Safe – USA Today