October 2016 Newsletter
This monthly newsletter is to help keep geocachers across West Texas up to date with what is happening all over West Texas and in other parts of the State. If you have anything you would like added into the monthly newsletter please contact me.
– Travis Gilbert (SKnight579)
Upcoming Area Events
Look for these upcoming events!
GC6TT8F October Blizzard Bash Meet, Eat, and Greet
October 16, 2016 @ 2:00 PM – Odessa, Texas
GC6V2G6 Welcome Back!
October 22, 2016 @ 10:30 AM – San Angelo, Texas
GC6RY9M Meet & Greet LasVegasBones
October 29, 2016 @ 6:00 PM – Amarillo, Texas
GC6QK0P Fireside Meet & Greet w/ S’mores
November 14, 2016 @ 7:30 PM – Marathon, Texas
Hunting Season is upon us, Bird Season is in full swing with Deer Season starting the first weekend of November. Here are a few safety tips I’ve found around the internet (links to those better articles below):
- Know the Season: It’s important to know what season it is and what is being hunted, for Texas here is a link that can help you find out what it is currently open season for: Texas Seasons
- Avoid Hunting Areas: Know where hunting locations are, like you should always do while geocaching avoid private property.
- Wear the right colors: Hunters wear “Blaze orange”, this time of year you can purchase Blaze Orange clothing at many locations such as Academy. Wearing a shirt, vest, or even a hat will help Hunters see that your a human, not a deer. Avoid wearing Tan, Brown, Antler hats, etc…
- Make Distinguishing Noises: Make plenty of noises only humans make, not noises animals Hunters may be hunting make. For instance I have a habit of whistling like a Bobwhite Quail, don’t do that.
- Protect your Geopup: Those Blaze Orange vests you can get for you, you can get them for your dogs as well. Any time your out hiking or Geocaching in the woods, it’s always helpful for your dog to wear distinguishing colors. Some animals are in season year round such as Wild Hogs, so dogs being able to be seen is ALWAYS a good idea. Also if they are anything like my old Basset Hound, if they catch a scent and wonder off that orange is much easier to find.
- Know when Hunters Hunt: Most hunting takes place in the early morning or late evening, there are hunters out in the middle of the day but far fewer than are out just after sun rise and just before sun set. Those times are when the animals are most active, but it’s also when visibility is not at it’s highest.
Hunters Education courses are available online or in person that hunters must take before they can legally hunt in Texas. These courses are full of great information for both hunters and non-hunters alike. Many of these courses you don’t have to pay for until the end of the course to get the needed hunting certificate, so you can go through the whole class for free! I recently took the one here: Texas Hunter Ed
Protect yourself and you’ll have a better hunting season (Hunting season for geocaches is of course year round)
Letterboxing (and caching) Safely during Hunting Season – Podcacher Podcast
Hiking During Hunting Season, How to Stay Safe – USA Today
Hiking Tips During Hunting Season – Trails.com
5th Annual Lone Star Roundup
Lone Star Roundup started in September of 2012 as The Unnamed Event. TXGA’s first Annual Fall event started as a weekend of fun without the competition of Texas Challenge.
The event moves around the different regions of Texas just like Texas Challenge does.
This years event will be held at the Osprey Hall on Lake Bastrop at the South Shore Park.
There are a number of events at this years Roundup, here is a list of the currently published events:
GC6NVC9 “Hot Dog” It’s a “Meet & Eat”
November 3, 2016 @ 6:00 PM – 6:30 PM
GC6QCG6 Brain Freeze and Birthdays!
November 3, 2016 @ 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM
GC6PKWE LifeIsAHorse Kayak Meet and Greet for RoundUP 2016
November 4, 2016 @ 8:30 AM – ?:?? ??
GC6NBZ3 Caffeinated Cachers Meet Up
November 4, 2016 @ 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
GC6PKZH Breakfast of Champions Meet and Greet
November 5, 2016 @ 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM
GC6KW59 5th Annual TXGA Lone Star Roundup
November 5, 2016 @ 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
GC6PKZ4 RoundUp 2016 Hot Diggity Dog Bar Meet and Greet
November 5, 2016 @ 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
GC6TK3G GIFF in Bastrop
November 5, 2016 @ 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
GC6KX1V TXGA Lone Star Round-up CITO
November 6, 2016 @ 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM
| The folks running this event have spent large amounts of time getting things for this event ready and putting out hundreds of geocaches!
Check out the map view of the area to see what all there is to find!
To Learn more about Lone Star Roundup, Register or Purchase Coins, Tags or Shirts visit:
Texas Challenge 2017
Texas Challenge 2017 will take place on March 18th, 2017 from 9 AM to 2 PM in Tyler Texas!
GC6EBKA 15th Annual TXGA Texas Challenge & Festival
Be sure to add it to your watchlist, more information on this event and team planning will begin soon!
Find the WTXGA on Facebook
If you would like to sign up for this newsletter please Click Here.If you wish to share this newsletter with a friend use your email client to forward it along.